The development strategy for the Masterplan has been designed to be flexible enough to accommodate changes in passenger demand and carrier needs. The following principles set out a guide for expansion and improvement of the Airport that the Masterplan seeks to promote:
- A new ‘best in class’ terminal, focused on optimising the user experience and providing a distinctive welcome to be designed and orientated to allow interface with the Enterprise Zone and potential business and commercial developments;
- Replacement stands to be provided for a mix of aircraft, including contact and remote stands;
- A new cargo terminal;
- New dedicated road access to be provided for the terminal from the A4226, separating Airport traffic from other uses including the Enterprise Zone;
- Improvements to pedestrian and cycle access to and through the Airport site, including links to Rhoose and Barry;
- Future integration with the Metro with a safeguarded bus link as well as an improved, dedicated connection between the terminal and Rhoose Cardiff International Airport railway station, improving the transfer experience;
- Open space, public realm and landscaping improvements; and
- Safeguarded land for expansion.
Key features and design considerations include:
- Deliver greater capacity to grow to three million passengers per annum and beyond
- Attract new airlines, secure new routes and more choice for customers travelling to and from the region
- Diversify the Airport business to create and develop opportunities for aviation, cargo, education, technology and innovation
- Build upon our efficient, safe and secure 24/7 operation.
A Unique Place:
- Create a public realm for the community to enjoy
- Excite customers before they fly and those arriving to Wales, creating a sense of place and awareness of the Welsh culture
- Link businesses across the Airport campus, supporting the region and Enterprise Zone
- Support education with a place to learn and innovate.
- Enhance our unique identity as the gateway to Wales, creating a memorable first and last impression
- Ensure ease of access for all
- Enhance our customer experience with best in class facilities
- Develop our ‘green’ credentials to meet our environmental and social commitments.
New 4* Hotel:
- Develop the first on site hotel
- Offer more choice in local accommodation for customers
- Offer business meeting and conference facilities
- Provide a convenient base for visitors to explore the region.
New Transport Hub & Car Park:
- Offer greater travel choice for customers, the community and the Airport team; car, bus, rail, taxi, car hire and active travel
- Offer an improved integrated transport facility
- Develop a new multi storey car park close to the terminal building
- Offer new services to enhance the customer experience.
Surface Access: Status:
M4 Severn Crossing toll removal: In progress
M4 Newport relief road: Proposed
M4 Pendoylan link road: Proposed
Five Mile Lane improvements: In progress
Great Western mainline improvement: In progress
South Wales Metro development: In progress
Rail frequency enhancements: Proposed
Express bus connectivity: In progress